Training and Information
for Education and Health Care Professionals
Ups and Downs Southwest is established as the go to organisation for families, and education and health care professionals supporting children and young people in our region. We provide information and training to over 400 schools, clinics and care providers across the region successfully inspiring and guiding positive and successful experiences. If you wish to know more please give us a call on 01278 691100
Health Care Professionals
I’m looking forward to attending future training events.
Really clear and informative speaker.
Our information, conferences and training events have grown and developed in response to demand from schools wishing to access up to date, practical and useful information and guidance. Schools do have the best interests of their students at the very heart of everything they do and are pleased and thrilled to see these students thrive and succeed that is where Ups and Downs help when you are involved with the anything to do with Down Syndrome.
We provide an annual conference with a range of topics and issues covered to meet the needs of professionals involved with children of any age and level of ability and also offer half day and full day training events both from our base in Westonzoyland Somerset and other venues across the region.
Where demand dictates it, we provide specific training and events for clusters of schools and professionals at venues across the region and have designed and produced a number of resources with an extensive bank of materials and information available to peruse or for a loan from our Resource Library held at our Somerset base.
A thought provoking session with clear aims, the ‘sculpting’ activity was very visual and appreciated by all the students
The training provided by Ups and Downs Southwest is well presented, practical and does actually make a real and positive difference to our practice. – Health Professional.
This event has helped me to see the bigger picture and what is really important
We often provide our courses and training to medical/hospital staff including midwives, doctors, nurses, consultants, administrators, care professionals, in fact, anybody who may be involved in either the actual sharing of diagnosis or the follow-up care provided. When beneficial we would conduct these sessions jointly with a Consultant Paediatrician.
The sessions are likely to include:
- Down Syndrome as a medical condition.
- Specific guidance, information and ‘phrases’ to use with parents when sharing the news of the diagnosis. Examples of things parents have had said to them which they have found very helpful, encouraging and supportive, or deeply distressing.
- The reality of being the parent of a child with Down Syndrome – and how it feels.
- A truly ‘up to date’ view of Down Syndrome today, with the ‘Social model’ illustrating the kind of things children are achieving, with the majority enjoying mainstream school, and going on to be a cohort of young people with Down Syndrome who are achieving more than ever before.
- The opportunity to ask questions and have a discussion around issues you may find difficult to address or relay to parents.