Become a Youth Club VolunteerCould you spare a couple of hours one evening a week?
Spend some time doing something rewarding
- Could you spare a couple of hours one evening a week?
- Are you encouraging, enthusiastic and energetic?
- Do you have good communication and/or additionally specialized communication skills such as Makaton?
- Do you have experience in supporting young people who have a special educational need?
If you have answered yes to ANY of these questions, please get in touch. We currently have openings for volunteers to gain experience in youth work at two locations – Sherborne and Weston-Super-Mare. You would be working alongside our qualified Youth Workers, helping to support the vibrant, energetic sessions.
The Youth Clubs
Our youth clubs are funded by Children in Need and are open to young people aged 10-25 who have Down syndrome.
The Weston-Super-Mare club is currently being held at The Healthy Living Centre and runs on the first and third Tuesday of each month 6-8 pm.
The Sherborne club is held at the Sherborne Youth and Community Centre and runs on the second and fourth Thursday of each month 6.30-8 pm. Both clubs provide a wonderful space for our people so that they can enjoy activities such as:
- Table tennis
- Board games
Alongside the above activities, we also have outside providers come to the sessions to do a range of activities. Recently, these have included:
- Taiko drumming
- Circus skills
- Martial arts
- Street dance
- Drama workshops
The sessions allow the young people to engage in new experiences, learn new skills and develop independence, alongside developing friendships.
By coming to volunteer for us we will be able to offer you:
- A range of learning opportunities
- Increased knowledge in special educational needs and youth work
- Help towards completing qualifications (for example D of E)
- Milage costs
- Ups and Downs Southwest training
Please note that before you start as a volunteer you will need to complete our training course and have an enhanced criminal records check (Disclosure).